the ol' med evac

The north of Madagascar can be a sizzling place.  This I shan't complain about, for in my Peace Corps interview when asked if i have any preferences to where I place I simply said "nowhere cold please".  I have respectively enjoyed living in such a warm climate.  I enjoy sleeping with just a sheet (or nothing at all...oh!), throwing on a pair of soccer shorts every morning (the environment volunteer's official uniform tends to resemble what others think of as running clothes), and never feel that it is too warm to farm or work, although my Malagasy counterparts my sometimes disagree.  I love warm climates because they do not inhibit the things I want to do like that white, cold stuff does back home.  That's right snow, I don't miss you at all!

But sometimes my love for these heated climates is overly enthusiastic.  I sincerely try to take the appropriate measures to insure my enjoyment of it, but sometimse I fall behind.  For example, I have gotten into a healthy habit of using sunscreen daily.  On one such day where I was heading out to the rice field, I loaded up as usual and called myself ready.  The day ends and of course I have forgotten that strip on my back that is exposed when I lean over to transplant and it is bright red and in the next few days will bubble and peel and I will feel quite foolish indeed.  (This from a girl who tans quite easily, but this sun is a completely different degree of intensity...it'll getcha!). 

The other day I was at my friend Katie's site with two other volunteers for a four day-long work project.  Our work focused mainly on this mural we were painting on the commune building of the national park that encompasses her town.  She had already planned out the map and it was beautiful, listing all of the islands that the park had to offer.  It is a neat project because although there is the national park group based on her town working in said park, many of the townspeople are not truly linked to it.  As so much of daily life here is just getting food on the table, it is perhaps understandable that not much thought is put into preserving and understanding the protected land that they walk upon.  But of course we (still debating which we I mean here...environment volunteers?  westerners?  privelaged?) come in and already think differently, seeing the importance of protected land.  Part of our work as environment volunteers is to educate on this topic and the importance of protecting the environment in general.  Through this mural, Katie was hoping to wrap some excitement and awareness about the town.

So, the first day went great.  We painted the intended wall white as a base in the morning and in the afternoon held a workshop at the elementary school about using and making improved cookstoves.  We all went to bed fulfilled with a days work.  The second day came and we set to gridding out and drawing the map onto the wall.  Another successful day called for a sunset walk to the river and a meal at the local hotely of crab.  Sitting down to my crab and rice I was suddenly struck with a strange dizzyness and was astounded by how hot it was in that little restaurant.  I ate quickly, excusing myself to pay and walk home.  So there I am looking out my window, waiting for my change.  And then I am out.

That is the last thing I remember until I wake up and find myself being stared at by the Malagasy restauranteers, Vanasa and Jonothon worriedly at my side.  Completely nautious and my pants wet from, well yes apparently I had peed myself, I had no idea what just happened.  Somehow they got me to my feet and back to Katie's place, trying to cool me down.  The next day I call my doctor explaining that I might have had heat stroke.  And then, as quickly as a Peace Corps car could manage, I was whisked away to Diego so they could make sure it was just that. 

The ol' med evac. 

This is my second med evac from site in my service so far.  I hope it will be the last.  The first time I had a terrible alergic reaction to some medication and had to quickly be benadrylled and picked up.  This time I was farther away, and luckily doing much better by the time the car came.  But alas, I sadly drove away from our map project and was landed in clinics and the office of a very nice doctor to see what exactly was wrong with me.  Just a precaution of course, but still...no one likes needles. 

Anyways, five days later I am still here in Diego but will hopefully be able to go home tomarow.  I'm homesick for my village, my little brother, and my best friend Corrine.  And I want to get back to my routine in which I feel like I do take the best care of myself, despite the back sunburn once in awhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment